Wednesday 2nd June, 2021 is World Eating Disorders Action Day.
World Eating Disorders Action Day is a grassroots movement designed for and by people affected by an eating disorder, their families, and the medical and health professionals who support them. Uniting activists across the globe, the aim is to expand global awareness of eating disorders as genetically linked, treatable illnesses that can affect anyone. The Sixth Annual World Eating Disorders Action Day will take place on 2 June 2021 across the globe. This year our focus is about #Equity4EatingDisorders
9 Truths about Eating Disorders
1. Many people with eating disorders may look healthy, yet they may be extremely ill.
2. Families are not to blame, and can be the patients and providers best allies in treatment.
3. An eating disorder diagnosis is a health crisis that disrupts personal and family functioning.
4.Eating disorders are not choices, but serious biologically influenced illnesses.
5. Eating disorders affect people of all genders, ages, races, ethnicities, body shapes, weights, sexual orientation, and socio economic status.
6. Eating disorders carry an increased risk for both suicide and medical complications.
7. Genes and environment play important roles in the development of eating disorders.
8. Genes do not predict who will develop eating disorders.
9. Full recovery from an eating disorder is possible. Early detection and intervention are important.
Please share these tiles on your socials to help create awareness.