About Eating Disorders Families Australia
This passionate group of parents and carers is dedicated to providing lived experience, support, information, validation and education to empower other parents in their journey with their own loved one.
Through nationwide support group strive, education seminars, peer to peer support and events, EDFA empowers parents and carers to advocate for their loved ones’ needs and personal role in the recovery journey.
When we talk to parents and carers about their journey with their loved one’s eating disorder, there is always a common thread.
We recognise that many parents and carers struggle to access critical information, support and resources, and are confused about how to navigate a complex system.
Here at EDFA, many of our volunteers have cared for someone with an eating disorder. We call it ‘lived experience’. We can offer you the support, confidence, advice, connections and community you will need.
“Eating disorders deeply impact families, often causing emotional and psychological distress for many years without respite. Our volunteers have lived experience, and our organisation supports and up-skills families…helping them through the most challenging journey of their lives.”
David Garvey, Chairman, EDFA
strive Carer Support Groups
strive Groups exist to:
- provide a safe, supportive place for carers to meet each month in an environment which allows for both knowledge sharing and peer support.
- provide information and resources to assist parents and carers to understand eating disorders and their integral role in recovery.
- encourage empowerment of carers in their role in the recovery of the person with the eating disorder.
Education and Information
We recognise that by educating parents, we are encouraging and empowering them to advocate for their loved one, and for themselves.
Body Image and Eating Disorders Awareness Week
Eating disorder organisations unite to warn against harmful diet culture messaging, particularly during the COVID-19 pandemic.
As COVID-19 and lockdowns persist, this year’s Body Image and Eating Disorder Awareness Week (BIEDAW), 6 to 12 September, proves to be incredibly important for over one million Australians living with an eating disorder, as well as many more with body image concerns.
Education Webinar Presenters and Services
Learning from others with expertise in many areas of eating disorder research, evidence based treatments, adjunctive therapies and approaches all help to provide information for families.
Become a member of EDFA for $25 per year (Australian Carers Only)
EDFA is a proud not for profit, volunteer run organisation.
We invite you to be part of a revolutionary peer support group making positive changes in the Eating Disorder space. Strength in numbers means we are able to affect change and have the collective voice of the carers recognised.
We provide opportunities to connect with other parents and carers who share your experiences… helping you to feel less alone and isolated.
Yearly membership is just $25.
Membership gives access to:
– Access to a range of resources in our Member Only section of the website including Educational Recordings, Member Recommended Clinicians and Services, and more.
– monthly state-based strive carer support groups
– twice monthly education sessions
– monthly sibling support group
– discounts to eating disorder events and conferences.
– daily online support through our strive Facebook page and the opportunity to connect, share, learn and ask questions is another benefit of being part of our EDFA community.
Your membership helps EDFA with ongoing costs of running a not-for-profit organisation, and importantly, shows Government that families value, need and believe in this type of lived-experience support. Strength in numbers helps EDFA lobby as the collective voice of carers for better services, treatments, access to expert clinicians and specialised ED units, to help our loved ones in their recovery journey and to acknowledge the impact of an eating disorder diagnosis on the entire family unit