EDFA was established to provide parent and carer support, to give a voice to families and carers of those suffering with an eating disorder. We are dedicated to raising awareness of the importance of involving parents and carers, and the benefits of including a trusted support person in the treatment plan.
Our ‘P & C’ hub will connect parents and carers with peer support and mentoring, education, information and resources. Caring for a loved one with an eating disorder is a challenging journey, but you are no longer alone. We will guide and support you along the way.
We run national education webinars online bi-monthly, with each seminar hosted by a lived experience or clinical expert in the Eating Disorder field.
Need information, support and resources? Find our comprehensive list of national and state wide eating disorder organisations here.
Looking after yourself
Caring can be exhausting. When you are caring for someone with an eating disorder it can be very easy to put aside your own needs when responding to the crisis.
We have compiled a list of resources for families and carers including members book, recommendations, podcasts, videos and more.
Meet the brave parents and carers who have shared their stories of caring for someone with an eating disorder, to help other carers.
Here is a list of the most frequently asked questions about eating disorders to help. you on your caring journey.
Become a member of EDFA for $25 per year (Australian Carers Only)
EDFA is a proud not for profit, predominantly volunteer-run organisation.
We invite you to be part of a revolutionary peer support group making positive changes in the Eating Disorder space. Strength in numbers means we are able to affect change and have the collective voice of the carers recognised.
We provide opportunities to connect with other parents and carers who share your experiences…helping you to feel less alone and isolated.
Yearly membership is just $25.
Membership gives access to:
– Access to a range of resources in our Member Only section of the website including Educational Recordings, Member Recommended Clinicians and Services, and more.
– Over 70 support groups and education sessions per year. including;
– monthly state-based strive Carer Support Groups
– twice monthly education sessions
– monthly sibling support group
– monthly national strive ARFID Carer Support Group
– discounts to eating disorder events and conferences.
– daily online support through our private strive Australia Facebook Group and the opportunity to connect, share, learn and ask questions is another benefit of being part of our EDFA community.
Your membership helps EDFA with ongoing costs of running a not-for-profit organisation, and importantly, shows Government that families value, need and believe in this type of lived-experience support. Strength in numbers helps EDFA lobby as the collective voice of carers for better services, treatments, access to expert clinicians and specialised ED units, to help our loved ones in their recovery journey and to acknowledge the impact of an eating disorder diagnosis on the entire family unit.