EDFA is the national peak organisation providing support and education solely for carers and families impacted by an eating disorder.
We receive little funding, even though the number of families accessing our services have more than doubled since the pandemic.
Make a tax deductible donation today, and help us support over 4 million Australians impacted by an eating disorder. We estimate that’s how many family members, carers, friends and partners care for loved ones with illnesses bearing the highest mortality rate of all psychiatric diseases.
Some facts about eating disorders in Australia
- 1 million Australians (or 4% of the population) are living with an eating disorder
- Eating disorders kill more people nationally than our road toll
- The average time it takes to recover from an eating disorder after seeking treatment is 1 – 6 years.
- Eating disorders cost Australians more than $69 billion every year
- Eating disorders are one of the 12 leading causes of hospitalisation.
How eating disorders affect the whole family
- Eating disorders cause long term illness – the families’ life is turned upside down.
- Most of the care occurs in the family home, or is provided by family.
- There is no respite, and the care can often be a 24/7 effort in the home for many years.
- Loss of job, friends and social connection, and a huge financial strain.
- Stress of finding a good team to support recovery.
- Carers living with ongoing shame and stigma, isolation and loneliness.
- Siblings affected and often overlooked due to the focus on the person with the eating disorder.
- Family breakdown – divorce and fractured relationships are common.
- Parents, partners and other carers often suffer mental and physical health issues.
An eating disorder diagnosis throws the whole family into unknown territory and impacts the mental and physical health of everyone in the household.
EDFA is a not for profit, registered charity with full DGR status and ACN compliance.
As a primarily volunteer run organisation, we rely on memberships, fundraising & donations to keep our work going.
Our dedicated team of lived experience volunteers provide support and education for families and carers of those affected by an eating disorder.
100% of your donation goes directly towards supporting and educating families affected by an eating disorder